Lauren Shea Hickok

A daily update on the health of accident victim Lauren Shea Hickok. All comments will be read to Shea for encouragement during this ordeal and kept for her review once she has recovered. Shea's latest CD is now available on iTunes. Go to the iTunes Store and search for Shea Hickok to order.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

A Note From Shea

This is the first time I have posted and I have really wanted to write all of you. I told my parents that I was writing the next blog. Problem is . . . four months later I am finally gathering up the courage to do it! I was nervous to write because I have a lot to live up to considering some of the writers on this blog have actually published books! They say I'm dealing with a lot of anxiety that will hopefully diminish with time, so I'm sorry that I haven't at least written something. I guess I don't see my life as all that interesting right now, so I don't want to blab on and on about my life when things are, what I perceive as somewhat normal now.

First of all, I want to thank all of you who are still following this blog for continuing to remember me in prayer. I wish I could thank each of you personally. It seems kind of trite to thank you via a blog and I will never know how many people prayed for me. It's pretty overwhelming. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your earnest prayers for me. If it weren't for all of you lifting me up to Jesus I don't know if I would be here today.

A number of people have asked how different my life is now since the accident. I was going to school and working so my family pretty much saw me flying in and out the door. Life was busy, stressful and crazy. I don't remember much about the day of the accident except that morning I used Crest White Strips. I looked in the mirror, smiled and thought, "My teeth look goooood." Over a month later I woke up, looked in a mirror and didn't recognize myself. A couple days later I was taken to a brain injury unit, and I felt like I was living the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Actually, I've never seen the movie, but I've heard a lot about it! Ever since then I have had various surgeries, recuperated and pretty much stayed home with my family most of the time.

I have had the opportunity to visit some of my extended family which has been really good for me. When you have to take out five teeth when eating, family is the best crowd to be around! I have had many close calls with my teeth - almost throwing them away at restaurants and asking the waiter to bring back my plate. A couple weeks ago our family went to Connecticut to visit my aunts, uncles and cousins. We took a boat out for the day, and I was relaxing and enjoying the beautiful weather. All of a sudden, my brother lost his footing and I screamed, "Luke!" Down fell my teeth, sliding down the side of the boat practically in slow motion, they slipped into the Long Island Sound. Once again, a great crowd to be around when you have to spend the rest of your vacation toothless! I got another set of teeth and sang in church recently. Betweeen the services I laughed backstage and out shot my teeth. Unfortunately, they broke into pieces. We gathered up the teeth, ran to Walgreens for Super Glue, glued them back together and walked on stage just in time for the next service to start. Just this weekend it happened again! I was at our family reunion and was outside in the woods walking to my cabin. I sneezed and out they came. It was midnight and I couldn't see a thing. Minutes later, the whole Anderson search party arrived with cell phones, lap tops and car headlights to help me find my dentures! They only broke in two places this time, but fortunately, I now carry Super Glue in my purse along with my lip gloss!

In a few minutes I am heading off to another surgery. This time they are detaching my upper lip from my gums. In my last surgery they had to use my lip to cover over the new bone they grafted. Now that it is healing they can separate the lip from the gums. They will also graft skin from the roof of my mouth to place on my gums where the previously grafted bone has shrunk. I guess it will appear to look like bone but gum tissue works as well too.

Thanks so much for all your love and prayers for me. I am so blessed and I know God is using all that has happened in my life to deepen me spiritually and to allow me opportunities that never would have happened.

"And we know that in all things God works to the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Love,

Shea

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea,
You have no idea of the perfect timing of your very encouraging post! Closing with my favorite verse in all the Word! I was delighted and lifted up and I needed to be. I will read it again and probably again after that. Everything you wrote proves that you really do have complete faith in the promise that ALL things work........for the good of those who love Him....and your faith is contagious. Praise God for your humble and obedient spirit!
In Christ,
Jacki Walsh

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Shea!
Jacki sent me an email to make sure I saw your post. I say "ditto" to everything she said. Thanks for your courage. What a blessing it has been to pray for you!

May God bless you and continue to heal you and show himself through you!

Love,
Betty Anne

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you shea! this was the best blog ever! it is so good to read words from the person actually going thru all of this.. you are awesome and so couragious!anything you need, just give me a call!
love, dani

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww shea! i'm glad to hear things are getting back to normal! minus the tooth thing, but i know you'll get used to it!
i feel like i havent seen you in forever! i deffanatly miss you, and i hope i can talk to you soon!
love
Melinda

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea,

Thank you for sharing some of the details of your days. You are a great writer with a gift for pulling the reader into the events you describe. Just wish we all could have been there to help catch your flying teeth! We love you and continue to pray for you!

Leonard and Brenda Evans

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea!
It is so good to see you write your own blog :-) I have greatly missed the updates. Thanks for sharing your apprehensions, hopes, and funny stories. I actually have a friend who has to take her teeth out on occassion. When she's in a quirky mood, she'll take them out just to freak out our students :-P
We still miss you out here in Phoenix. Every once in awhile our choir will sing a song that I remember you singing and I can almost hear your voice. It was so much fun to be in choir with you and your mom :-)
I pray that you continue to strengthen each day, both physically and spiritually. I know that you hear this quite a bit, but you really are an amazing person with an amazing family. Thank you for shining the light of Christ so brightly.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Gwen said...

Shea!!
So good to hear from you =)
I am so thankful of all that God is doing!
Keep on keeping on for the Lord!
Love, Gwenellyn

6:56 PM  
Blogger LauraK said...

Dear Shea,

Thanks so much for your update. You have such a cheerful and encouraging spirit. The computer is actually a great way for you to communicate with everyone. Don't be shy. We want to "hear" everything!

When you type at least you won't have to worry about your teeth falling out :)

Love,
Laura Kluvo

7:07 PM  
Blogger W. H. Conner said...

Shea, my dear.....

Teeth are sort of enigmatic little things in that they're mostly ignored and not thought about unless someone is having a problem with them. That's odd, considering that they're responsible for what makes us look like "us", in part, and without which we would largely starve.
These thoughts are mostly to remind myself, not you, since your ongoing experiences have left you with an education in endodontistry and periodontistry rivaled only by the experts, themselves.
In spite of your ability to see humor in the whole thing, I know there are times when you consciously miss your teeth, and nothing about it feels funny at all, perhaps. I miss you and think of you often, and I'll continue to pray for speed and comfort in your healing. You are dearly loved.....

Hayes

8:54 AM  
Blogger Melissa E. said...

Thanks for posting! It was so good to see you last week. I hope that your surgery went well and that you are recuperating quickly. Love you!!

6:15 PM  
Blogger M said...

Hey Shea,
It was great to hear from you. Jonathan and I were sad to not make it to the reunion this year, especially because we knew we were going to be there! I love your honesty about tooth issues! Maybe we should all pitch in and get you a back up set of teeth. :) We will continue to pray for you, Shea. Thanks for being you. MEG

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea,

You're and angel. It's wonderful to read your words and to experiance God's work.

Much Love,

Ed

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea,

I googled your Mom and Dad and found this blog about you and all the prayers and miracles that have been happening for the past 2 years. I am so glad that you are okay and continue to improve. Give my love to your parents.
God bless you!
Charlene Talley Gwin

4:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SHEA! HOORAY!

Good for you to get up the courage to write. Nicely done! Can't wait for the next post!

Sorry it's been so long since you've heard from me. Things have been a little out of control. But I've continued to pray for you daily, and wonder often how you're doing. Obviously, it's been a month or more since I've checked your blog, as I just found your post today and it's already AUGUST! Hope you're mouth is doing better.

You know, your stories about your flying teeth would make a darling children's book. Imagine the illustrations! It would be such a good lesson about taking care of your teeth. You have the writing ability to pull it off, too.

Love you, Shea! Give my love to your parents, too. I have so much to share with you all ... hopefully sometime soon!

Carolyn
PDX

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea,
You don't know me, but i know you from a very small baby. Your parents both were teachers of mine who inspired me and are a great deal responsible for some of my "qualities" today at 32 years old. I have been keeping myself posted with your progress since the accident and want you to know that you, and your family are always in my prayers....your spirit is an inspiration..your blog was so well written.... you are truely your parents daughter..I love you dearly..my daughter now attends scottsdale christian academy where many teachers attend Scottsdale Bible and northridge and you are in all of our prayers often..your family brings a smile to so many faces.
Love,
Michelle Bowen

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Shea, folks do keep reading the blog. It's my kids' first day back in school, and I used some of my freetime to see if there was an update. It was so good to read your words--even though I didn't see them until five weeks after you wrote them! Thanks for sharing.
Our girls still ask if you can babysit! Maybe we can just meet for coffee & hot chocolate sometime.

8:45 AM  
Blogger nursebecca said...

Shea,

I am so proud of you for writing that blog! You are a great writer by the way...I'm sure you have enough stories in the last year alone to write a book...you definitely have the talent :) You are such an amazing person and it is so awesome to hear of God's continued work in your life! I love your positive attitude and humor about your tooth stories! I know it's got to be difficult sometimes not to be a little self conscious of your flying teeth, but keep persevering through the times when you feel down about it and remember that your true beauty lies within...It shines through even in the words of your blog!

I love you and will continue to pray for you! So glad to hear that you're singing again too! Maybe if you make it back to Arizona sometime soon, you can sing at Scottsdale Bible! I know so many people would be so touched by that! Give my love to your family and keep looking up!

Love,

Becca Noland <><
xoxo

8:22 PM  
Blogger victor perrotti said...

Hickok family...

Steve...I just wanted to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas. You and your family have been a source of encouragement to me. If I can be of any help in any way to you or your family I am always here for you. 602.882.2382 God Bless...Vic

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea.....
"Hey Girl" It has been so long, way too long. You are so amazing! I havent had to the chance to tell you what your experience has done for me. i know i havent been in touch but i think about you and your family all the time. All the love and emmence faith is so amazing, and definately made me stronger in my faith.i have learned no mtter what happens in this life no matter how hard or traumatic, if we live through Him and know Him we and the people around are truly blessed. You have truly blessed my life. You and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers. Amanda Alexander (Salon 124 "the skunk")

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shea,
I have not kept up with your updates, but today I was guided to see the latest. You are an amazing person; my favorite verse is Jeremiah 29:11; I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you Hope and a Future.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home