Lauren Shea Hickok

A daily update on the health of accident victim Lauren Shea Hickok. All comments will be read to Shea for encouragement during this ordeal and kept for her review once she has recovered. Shea's latest CD is now available on iTunes. Go to the iTunes Store and search for Shea Hickok to order.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

We're Still Alive!

Where has the time gone? Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's have passed and 2007 is well under way. Thanks so much for the encouraging comments on the blog, and we apologize for allowing so much time to pass before posting.

Maybe life has become normal to us, and we don't really know what all of you are interested in hearing as there hasn't been anything monumental to report until now. We have visited some doctors recently as Shea prepares for her next surgery, and yesterday's appointment was to get a 3D CT scan of her skull. They are making a model of Shea's skull for the plastic surgeons to use, and the technician explained to Shea, by using a quarter, that they can get to 1/10 the thickness of a quarter in accuracy.

Shea's surgery is scheduled for February 27th at 7:30 am at Northside Hospital in Atlanta. Her left cheekbone will be rebroken and repaired again. Shea's eye needs to be raised higher, and we're hoping that this will alleviate the double vision in her left eye. Both jaw bones will be broken and the bottom jaw will be pulled out farther. Bone from Shea's hip will be grafted to the area above where her front teeth should be.

Shea is seeing a nutritionist who is helping her get her body as healthy as possible before the next surgery. Evidently she still has about 25% of the toxins in her organs from the last surgery. Anesthesia and lots of strong meds take a toll on the body. Shea still requires about 12 hours of sleep a night and is experiencing jaw pain and headaches.

On our last post there was a comment from Paula Richardson. We have never met, but thank you, Paula, for encouraging our family in a huge way. Unfortunately, your husband was the doctor we dreaded seeing as he was the doctor who worked on Shea in the emergency room. We sat in the Family Counseling Room and Dr. Richardson had to share the grim news with us that our daughter was not expected to live through the day. He said that she was not responding to the oxygen and they were doing all they could. One time he walked into the room, and his face was solemn. I looked at him, trying to read his expression, fearing what he would say to us and our boys. "Is she alive?" I blurted out. "Yes." I remember clapping my hands and Dr. Richardson put out his palms to us and said, "It is very grim." We only knew to pray and so we continued. Now that we hear the words from his wife, of her love for the Lord Jesus, we wonder if Dr. Richardson prayed over our daughter as God used him to miraculousy bring our Shea back to life. Thank you from the depths of our hearts for not giving up on our girl.

It's hard to imagine that a year ago we were just coming home from the Acquired Brain Injury Unit and settling Shea at home. It's birthday time in our family, Jess' was today, Steve in a few days and Shea will be 20 on February 7th. What a difference a year makes as last year we were just trying to get through each day. Lying in bed, sleeping for hours on end, doctors' appointments almost daily. Last Wednesday Shea joined our Bible Study at church. As we sat side by side, she took my hand, squeezed it and whispered, "I love you, Mommy." You can imagine the emotion that welled up in me as I looked into the eyes of our only daughter, even though her appearance isn't exactly the same as before, it's her. She's alive, beautiful and will one day be very well.

Thanks for listening and praying --

The Hickoks

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for updating us about Shea. Those of us who have no other way of knowing how she is doing...look forward to any and all updates.
...praying...
that other mom

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been checking the website for updates on Shea and hope you do not discontinue them. I know of Shea because of Rachael who was in the car with Shea. I am a friend of their family. I continue to pray for you and those whose lives were forever changed. God bless and sustain you. Paula

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying! Thanks for updating -

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the update, Hickok family! We will be praying, as Shea gets her immunity built up in preparation for the next surgery. Blessings to all of you and Happy Birthday's, too! With love, Sharon & Gaylard Moore

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tears in my eyes.
Thanks for posting again.
Yes, Happy birthdays! I am remembering when Jesse turned three! Time sure flies sometimes, doesn't it?

Love to you all,
Melissa Eimers

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! Thanks for the update. I'm so happy for each of you guys, and am so thankful for our Jesus who has carried you this far!!! He is the author of life and wants so much for you to thrive. My birthday is the day of Shea's surgery so I will definitely not forget that date and will be praying especially hard that day. God bless each of you and I'll be ready to make some more chicken stock for Shea to have when she comes home from the hospital! With love and prayers- Marian Madden

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me, it seems like five years since the accident! So much has happened in this past year. I marvel at God's continued graciousness. We are so grateful to Him for not only sparing your life, Shea, but for seeing you and your family through some very difficult times.

Thanks for the update, Sis. We are hungry for any news that you have to report. We'll be praying with you and for you.

It was so interesting to read Paula Richardson's note. How sweet of her to write. There are parts of this story that are still coming out! I see that as God's little gifts along the way.

We're looking forward to your visit! Can't wait!

Love,

Aunt Kathy

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea -
It was so great of our Lord to time it so I could see you when you came to pick up Luke @ Firenze! I thought you looked wonderful, but your spirit showed through as well. Yes, you told me then of your impending surgery, but glad to get that in writing to keep it before me -– and to have more details. This is not an experience anyone could look fwd. to. I will be continuing to pray for you, as well as your brothers and parents.
What a different birthday this year! May it be a joyful celebration!
Ginny in Portland Oregon (Sarah's Grammy)

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was sooo good to get an update about Shea. I still check for updates, and have yet to read one that I don't have tears spilling from my eyes within seconds. On one hand, it almost feels like we (the bloggers) are intruding on your personal lives, one the other hand, we are so grateful that you have chosen to open your hearts and minds to us to allow for such personal information to be shared by so many. Thank you. I think of you often, Shea, and I missed you when you came to CO recently. Hope you will come again soon. Wishing you a healthly, happy 2007.

H

3:16 PM  
Blogger Bardlady said...

Thank you for the update regarding Shea's condition. My husband shares her birthday. He will turn 60 this year. We've all been praying for Shea's needs for a long time and will continue to pray for her - especially on her birthday and as the surgery date approaches. May you continue to know blessings in the midst of turmoil. Shea, though we don't know you personally - you are a blessing in our lives.
Love,
The Wild Family

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, The time has gone by so fast. It has been quite a year. God has healed my heart this past year and I pray so regularly for Shea and the entire family. I think of Jess and I think of The Shaq, I think of Luke and I think of amazing guitar playing, I think of Shea and I see that smile and heart of gold, I see Susan and Steve and I think of how wonderful our God is. The strength God gives us in our hearts and the peace in just being close to him is so amazing. I love to hear you sing Shea! I pray God places a smile in your heart. Carry it with you always and everyday.
Yours In Christ
Love You Guys
Bill Jones

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a friend of Dayle Kelly (Kyle's fiance), and I wanted to encourage you by reminding you of many who are praying for you because they are touched by your story, and yet don't even know you! I am certainly one of them, and I am truly amazed and encouraged by your undying faith to our Lord. You will truly be rewarded by your faith. I have been checking this website, and I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. February 27th will definitely be in my heart and prayers. Take care of yourselves Shea & Hickok family. And happy birthdays. Here's to another year! God is good...
~ Kristen

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Rowan. I am another person you probably don't know but my brother Josh plays Keys for your church sometimes and through him i ended up with Shea's CD. Its AMAZING! And her story is even better! seriously its all amazing. Well, just wanted to leave a comment of encouragement. (imagine a gigantic smile right here) I Hope all goes well and happy 20th birthday.

Rowan

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHEA...Knowing your family, birthday's are just a fun day for all, each one contributes to make that happen.
Thank you for your messages on the
blog. I have shared your joy and your pain, God knows who needs to hear and who will also pray.
I am so thankful you are in God's secret pavilion. He has His angels circled around you, their backs toward you and they facing all the enemies of darkness with their shields, protecting you. You and your family are safe in God's mighty right hand over you.
We love you all and will continue to trust God for more miracles.
Bob and Greta Wade

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 20th Birthday Shea! i miss you..call me sometime!
love, Dani :)

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Hickoks! Thank you for posting again. I've been checking often to see what is new. When I woke up today I realized today was the 7th and that it was Shea's birthday. Still remember the fun two year old birthday party with all the kids lined up on the couch in their pointed party hats! So sweet. Glad to hear that things are going well. We'll be praying for the next surgery.
Love to you all, the Guthries

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea its always great to hear that your doing well! i'll be praying for your upcoming surgeries, know that i love you, your amazing! and HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY! hope it was AMAZING!
love ya
Melinduh!

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shea and Family,

Hope everyone had happy birthdays!
Shea, I pray that God will give you the rest you need and such amazing strength for your surgery. He will keep those who trust Him in His peace, and just more and more, may you feel His peace and His loving arms around you, with strength that could only come from Him!! I just join with so many others in that prayer for you; that He will hold you up-step by step and day by day!!! May you somehow feel the love and hugs and prayers for you from all of us!!!!!
Lifting you up before the King,

Denise

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God's work is wonderful to behold. Nothing can mar the spirit within; Shea's grows more beautiful with each passing day. How we take for granted that simple phrase, "I love you" and what a blessing it must be to hear her say it. Those are God's words for all of you!

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthdayy shea :] i lovee you. i miss seeing you at church:[ you need to call me sometime!
xoxo,
jenn

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want you to know we are still praying and will be especially on the 27th. The Lord bless your family. Joy (Merritt) Bauman

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea -
Have you on my calendar to pray for you, the 26th, and then, of course, the 27th -- as well as all your medical folks. I am passing this along to a "home group" including my dentist who have been praying for you. They meet this eve, and I will remind them about your impending surgery.
Ginny from Portland (Sarah's Grammy!)

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are praying for tomorrow's surgery

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thinking about you guys and have been and will continue to lift you all up in prayer. I know tomorrow is a big day. I have been reminded lately that God is El Roi (the God who sees me) and he is also Jehovah Rapha (our healer). The Lord bless you and keep you and may you have the peace that can only come from him.
With lots and lots of prayers, Marian

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea, we are praying for you tomorrow. We love you!
-Kucala's

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shea,

You have been on our hearts these days, and we just wanted you to know that we're thinking of you and praying for you--and your family, the doctors and nurses, and everyone involved in your surgery tomorrow. We are praying for a wonderfully succesful day and wishing that we could be there in the waiting room with your family. I'm praying just now for a good night's sleep for you and a supernatural sense of God's presence.

We love you, Sweetie!

Lovingly,

Aunt Kathy for all the Falks and Grandpa Anderson

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will be in our thoughts and in our prayers. We are hoping to hear good news tomorrow. I know you are too!
Maybe soon Luke will let you drive that car... ;-)
Love you so much,
Melissa Eimers

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home