Lauren Shea Hickok

A daily update on the health of accident victim Lauren Shea Hickok. All comments will be read to Shea for encouragement during this ordeal and kept for her review once she has recovered. Shea's latest CD is now available on iTunes. Go to the iTunes Store and search for Shea Hickok to order.

Monday, August 20, 2007

He sat for hours on the cold linoleum floor with only a gum wrapper and time to kill. Entertaining a nervous nine-year-old boy with a paper football, waiting to hear the plight of his sister, was no small feat, but he did it with ease and gentleness. Hearing the news of the accident that early morning of November nineteenth, he came to Macon with his parents to be a support and comfort to his pastor and family. A few days later he came back to Macon to visit Shea although she was unconscious and completely unaware of his presence. He stepped closer to her bed and touched her cold swollen hand. Looking up at the monitors, reading the stats and then down at her lifeless body, he thought this might be the last time he would ever see her. Knowing music was a big part of Shea's life, he left his ipod for her to find comfort in familiar song.

Months after Shea came home from the hospital he came over for church band practice. Afraid of being seen, Shea hid in her room while the guys rehearsed. Week after week she isolated herself. One night after a long day of doctors' appointments, we drove home to find all the cars at our house. Rehearsal was already in progress. What should we do? Wait in the car? "I can't keep hiding. I need to go in," Shea said. As she walked in the front door, the music stopped. Their expressions said it all. She was alive and back with us. Jason, sitting on the floor with his guitar, carefully reached up and once again, touched her hand -- this time soft and warm. Few words were exchanged, but there was an undeniable connection for sure. The next day Jason left a message on Steve's cell phone where he poured out his heart about how unbelievably moved he was to witness this miracle. He wondered if he had experienced maybe a fraction of what the disciples felt when they touched Jesus again.

Phone calls became more and more as their friendship developed. Jason was there for every surgery and recovery. Oftentimes showing up with a carton of sorbet and a movie or some probiotics and a homemade shake. The flowers came later! Last August, Shea and Jason Baker declared their love for each other! We couldn't be happier for our little girl. Jason told Shea, "This is the face I fell in love with." Her scars he loves too -- they tell a story of character and a strength which only deepens their relationship more. Sometimes holding her teeth during meals or passing them to her quickly when people ask her a question. They've got it down! Quietly but attentively he attends to Shea's needs. With numbness on parts of her face, food seems to gravitate to those areas, but Jason nonchalantly wipes them away without a thought. They have had a different start from most couples. With the laughter that fills our home, you would never know the dark times these two have together shared.

What a bright spot this love relationship is in our family! Thanks for sharing in our joy.

Steve and Susan

23 Comments:

Blogger Melissa E. said...

Does this mean they are engaged???? Is it official??

10:04 PM  
Blogger admin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:50 PM  
Blogger admin said...

no Melissa, just very much in love!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Melissa E. said...

How sweet! What a nice love story!

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of the sweetest stories I have ever heard! I am so very happy for you Shea :-)
Jason, I don't know you, but thank you for shining God's light in Shea's life and always being there for her even when she didn't know she needed you...

9:09 AM  
Blogger HoagFamily said...

Beautifully written. I expect this to be the first chapter in the amazing book you should write about all of this. Seriously, it's a fascinating and inspiring story, and Jason's story would make a perfect introduction. I'll take the first 100 copies to come off the printing press, along with your next album (please tell me you are doing another album...)

You both show the love of Jesus in such a neat way. Actually, so do the rest of the Hickoks!

Blessings,

Tim Hoag

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, what a good story.

We had the pleasure of meeting Jason a few months ago, and we were thrilled for Shea that the Lord had brought such a fine young man into her life. What a lovely story of love and persistence.

Shea, we've said it so many times, but it bears repeating: You are a wonder to us. We have always loved you, but we continue to marvel at the maturity and grace you have shown through your ordeal. I'd say that Jason has VERY good taste!

Love you all!

Aunt Kathy

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well.........and it came to pass.
I couldn't be happier for all of you. I would buy the book. Bless you all. In Jesus Love, Debbie Miller (linda evans friend)

2:31 PM  
Blogger LauraK said...

Oh, this is so precious - I would love to see a photo!

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...so sweet...

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

........BEAUTIFUL!!!........

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How great it is to find love! Congratulations. You are one amazing family.

With Love.
Dawn Pridgen

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've followed Shea's story ever since Nov of 05. I can't tell you how God has used her life to encourage me many times the last year and a half. I was so thrilled to read this last post!

I knew you through my sister- in law who grew up with Steve at his dad's church. Also from college days in the 80's. Withdrew $ from Susan in the business office. :)

God bless you all!
- a sister in Christ

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful to be able to share in the good times too.
I'm very happy for you all.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoo hooo!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Gina Marie said...

Through a mutual friend I was made aware of what happened and led to the blog to read a testimony of God's healing and care in your life and family Shea. . . . I was one of your father's students and my brother was in your kindergarten class long ago at Heart to Heart. My heart has been blessed to read your story and I know that God is glorified in these trials and tribulations. Give my love to your family and may you remember all of our prayers and love are with you all in this time.

Gina (Giordano)Weeks
MrsWeeks01@aol.com

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On behalf of the Jones/Lazzara family, let me say that no one deserves this more than you, Shea. You will always be a part of our family, and we can't wait to read the rest of your "story"- the story of your most precious life from this day forward.
Jason, take her by the hand and love her as we will always love her.
Anna

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey this is nick zockoll i havnt heard from you guys in years i heard about the accident and i am very glad to hear that she is better, i have been praying for her and the whole family. please get in touch asap. my cell is 8653852510 and my email is nickzockoll@hotmail.com or even facebook. hope to hear from you soon,
nick zockoll

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea and family -
This is the way I learn about news - and I am interested in hearing the latest on medical procedures (recent, future).
My dentist who is also part of a Bible group I've been in is always interested, and prays for you too.
Ginny (Sarah's Grammy in Oregon)

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey shea!
I'm so happy for you guys! "Everything happens for a reason." I live by that quote!I miss you, call me girl!
love, dani :)

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy for Shea. What wonderful news!! Can anyone tell me how to get a cd? I know you can download from itunes, however I am not that savvy and would love to buy a few copies for Christmas gifts. Some us haven't caught up with the technology. :-(

Thanks!!

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you, Shea, and all the Hickoks. We are still praying for you. Your story continues to inspire us in our faith. May God continue to fill you up as he has so that you will overflow with His blessings.
The Walshes

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea-
I can not evn express how happy that I am for you and Jason. I love this love story that has developed form all that has happened and I am SO SO happy that you have found someone who makes you so happy and loves you so much! I Love you so much and I hope that you know that I always will!! You will always have a very special place in my heart and a place in our family, along with all of your family!
I love ya'll!!
Emily

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home