Lauren Shea Hickok

A daily update on the health of accident victim Lauren Shea Hickok. All comments will be read to Shea for encouragement during this ordeal and kept for her review once she has recovered. Shea's latest CD is now available on iTunes. Go to the iTunes Store and search for Shea Hickok to order.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Broncheoscopy Performed

This is Kathy Falk again.

An x-ray indicated that the pneumonia is in the lower parts of both of Shea's lungs. Because Shea's jaw is wired shut, she cannot cough up the mucus from her lungs, and the secretions with bacteria from her mouth are aspirated into her lungs. Dr. dela Cruz ordered a broncheoscopy 1) to remove mucus from Shea's lungs and 2) to obtain a specimen so that they know what bacteria is present and prescribe the right antibiotic.

Shea is being suctioned several times a day through her trachea tube, and this removes the mucus from her trachea, but it doesn't suction out the mucus which is deep in her lungs. In a broncheoscopy, a flexible fiber optic tube with a camera on the end is inserted through her trachea tube down through her trachea and into the lungs. This allows the doctor to see exactly where the mucus is and remove it. Because Shea cannot cough up the mucus deep in her lungs, that mucus can become a breeding ground for bacteria.

She came through the procedure very well. Grandpa Anderson and I were invited to observe it along with Susan [Steve is fighting off the flu, so stayed away from the hospital today.] It was good to see that Shea was entirely sedated so that it was not difficult for her. We watched as the scope traveled through her lungs and listened as the doctor described what he was seeing. There was not a great deal of mucus removed, but in 48 hours the culture will be ready, and the team will know just what they are dealing with.

Today has been a good day for Shea in that she has been sedated and is resting comfortably. The highlight of the day for me was to have her open her right eye, look at me, and then reach out both her arms to hug me. She did this twice, and each time I whispered to her how well she is doing and how she needs to just rest and trust that she is okay. It's hard to explain how absolutely wonderful it feels to have her initiate a hug!

Grandpa Anderson spent a fair amount of time with her. I wish you could see the look of love and tenderness he exudes at Shea's bedside. She responds with tears to Grandpa, so the feeling is mutual!

Amy, you asked the question why Shea isn't given a board to write her questions. A good question. She is not conscious enough yet to write. The picture board may even be ineffective at this point in her recovery. She is still in quite a fog from the sedation she is receiving.

There is more to say, but I will write more tomorrow morning. It is late, and we need to leave the Ronald McDonald House.

Before I leave, I want you all to know that Jeanne is leaving tomorrow morning because she received word today that her daughter Meredith's husband Jason is being taken by ambulance to the Eisenhower Medical Center in Augusta, Georgia, because of a suspected heart problem. Details are sketchy at this point, but we will keep you posted. Jason is only 28 years old, but this is particularly worrisome because his father died of a heart condition when Jason was only ten years old. Please pray for Jason and for Jeanne as she travels.

We just learned that Karen Grassmick, Susan's sister from Dallas, will be coming here on Monday. We will be staying here until she arrives.

Susan is with Shea now because nurse Laura called just as Susan was finishing supper to say that Shea wants her mother. Sweet words to any mother!

Thank to you all for praying for our sweet Shea.

Kathy Falk

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! AMEN AMEN AMEN!

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!! I ditto all that!

Susan,
Hang in there Baby! From one mom to another!

Teresa

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jesse,

So I was about a mile in the air somewhere over Minnesota when I reached into my pocket and pulled out your package of life savers....sorry buddy....didn't mean to steal those from you! Hopefully I can come back down to the hospital soon and we can play some more basketball....work on your goaltending problems between now and then =)

Later,
Sarah

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Steve and Susan,
We are so grateful to be able to read about Shea each day and to pray (and cry, many tears and God has kept all of them)for her and for you. We praise God for each step of progress right along with you. God has taught me to pray in a new way since we first received word from Jason Lehman the day of the accident. Shea is constantly on my mind which leads me to pray for her. I know this will all be to God's glory.

Each time I hear the song, "Blessed be the Name" I think of your sweet Shea, so how neat it is that the Lord put that song in your heart Susan!! Now we will all think of her and pray for her each time we hear it! There are so many people that are praying for your little girl and for you, I know you would be shocked if you knew the numbers. Words are not enough to express how our hearts feel for you. I know our prayers cannot contain the words we want to present to the Lord on Shea's behalf, but praise God, the Holy Spirit takes our prayers and presents them to our Father in perfect words, so we know there is never a prayer to small! We love you all!
Sandy Richards

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Shea,
We are continually praying and crying tears of joy!!
We Love precious Shea Shea!!
Terri

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Kathy.
Still praying,
Dawn

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shea,

There where times in life that I thought I wasn't going to ever get thru a situation. There where days I felt hopeless and all alone. The one person that could pick me up from anything was my mother. A mother and daughter's bond is priceless. I can tell you already know that. :)
Love always-Jaime

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Beautiful,
I am so glad that everything went well!! I knew that it would because it is all in God's hands. you are doing so much better and that makes me so happy! I continue to pray and think about you everyday! You were on my mind a lot today and there is a picture of you that people wear that i love to look at over and over!! Hang in there babe and i will check on you in the morning!
I LOVE YOU MY SWEET BUNNY!!
Love xoxoxo,
Renea
Dear Family,
Isnt God just amazing? Yes he is and continues to show me this everyday! I continue to pray for yall on a daily basis. I think about yall all the time! Steve, i hope you feel better, load up on that vitamin C. Hang in there yall!!
I love you!
Renea

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shea,

I am thanking God for you and your beautiful family and all the many friends you have who are praying for you and encouraging you. It is so wonderful to see how you have all these people rallying around you. God is so great! He has always promised He will never leave us. Even when it feels like He is so far away, He is near...He is healing you and making you even more beautiful. I am praying tonight you are so aware of His presence that no other thought enters your mind...all the things of this world fade and you are aware of nothing but Him and His deep and eternal love for you.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve and Susan, we're praying for your health -- that you, Steve, will be well soon and that Susan will remain healthy! God bless your dad, Grandpa Anderson, too. Thank you, Kathy, for your current updates. We're praying that Shea has a restful night and that this infection will be quelled. We love you, dear family. Gaylard and Sharon

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for quick healing of your lungs and for protection from any more infection. And praying that God will continue to hide your family in the safety of His shadow.
Love,
Betty Anne

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea! Sweet Shea! Keep giving your family huge hugs. They love it. I can't wait to see you and give you a hug. Keep fighting strong.
Love you!!

Megan

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning sheaster,
I am so proud of you and how well you are doing. Your family has felt so loved by you and all your sweet hugs. It so evidant that God has such big things planned for you. He is going to use you in ways you never could have imagined.
We are planning on coming down there soon Shea and we have a package from all the ingnition students for you and your fam. I just cant wait to give it to you guys. There is one thing in particular that I know you are just going to love because it is so divaish (I dont know if that is a word).
I want you to know that I love you so much, you are constantly in my prayers and in my thoughts. I am truly one of your biggest fans. Hoping to see you soon....
Jenny Ingram

8:15 AM  
Blogger nate hughes said...

Shea Stahr!

OK. I've been meaning to write this story down for a while...you can ask KelKel why it took me so long, but here it is...

One day I was sitting next to this beautiful girl in an evening service (it was you). It was very close, if not the last Sunday night that you guys were at SBC and the preacher (whoever it was that night) mentioned Rom 5:8...I leaned over to you and I said, "That is one of my favorite verses". With great joy, you replied, that is one of mine too! So I said, "I will totally remember you when I read that verse." You had made some little oragami figure out of a Starburst wrapper and you gave it to me to remember you. I put it in my Bible in the spot where Rom 5:8 is. I still think of you every time I read that verse (I read it oftern).

Unfortunately, after I heard about the accident I went and looked through every Bible I own and can't find the little oragami Starburst wrapper! It must have fallen out. I was pretty bummed, but then I thought about how rich that memory is in my mind and the memory is way more important than the wrapper. You are rad. I love you and I can't wait until we can see each other again.

Love ya,

nate

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is good! Thank you for your updates! It's awesome to hear all that God is doing. We are continuing to pray for all.

Your friends from Suwanee
"Blessed of the name of the lord."

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Blessed is the name of the Lord."

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea, wow how amazong and awesome is our God???? It is such an encouragement to hear of your progress!!! I can't wait to see you and give you one of those infamous hugs I have heard so much about. Things have been busy around here. I was just asked to coordinate a huge retirement party for an old principal of mine next Saturday! Kacie is helping me but in the hospital with blood clots right now, and just keeping up the balance of working and school projects, I have my hands full! Oh, I got a sneak preview of that movie, Narnia. Shea, it is AMAZING!!! The parrallels it creates to Christ are beautiful. You would love it, its really...... enchanting.
Well, you keep getting better. I have no idea if that latest operation will put you in any pain but ill be praying for you. I'll bet if is good to be with your family. You have no idea how wonderful it is to hear that you are recognizing people and able to communicate. I know how much you love to talk, I'm sure its frustrating to not be able to have that function, but it will come. And to hear that God has really protected your body as far as scratches and scars, WOW! Your face was just too gorgeous change!! Well, dear I love you as always, let me know when that CD is available. It may be a few days before I can write again, but you are never far from my thoughts.....
Rach

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN. prayer is amazing.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home