Lauren Shea Hickok

A daily update on the health of accident victim Lauren Shea Hickok. All comments will be read to Shea for encouragement during this ordeal and kept for her review once she has recovered. Shea's latest CD is now available on iTunes. Go to the iTunes Store and search for Shea Hickok to order.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Further Surgery Update

Michael is on his way back to Chicago so I am providing this update based on a call from Jeanne.

The surgery lasted a little over 13 hours and concluded around 5:40 this morning. The surgery went well except that, as Michael reported, the left eye area was more difficult to reconstruct than the doctors had expected.

Shea is experiencing some complications from the surgery that I am sure Susan and Steve would like us all to pray about. Shea's right arm is more swollen than the left and this seems to be a cause for some concern. The doctors have ordered an ultrasound and will be looking for restricted blood flow and the possibility of small bone fractures in the arm that might explain the more prominent swelling in that arm. We will post the ultrasound results as soon as we know them.

Shea's fever has not been high. It was up just over 102 after the surgery and has fallen to around 100. Nevertheless, Shea has some respiratory and yeast infections that the doctors are addressing and her urine output is sluggish. So these are also areas of concern. Respiratory function continues to be strong and her heart rate has come down from around 136 to the low 120's following surgery.

Given the extensive surgery she had last night, Shea is epxeriencing considerable swelling of her face. They have an ice gel mask over her eyes and ice packs on the rest of her face. She is receiving pain medication every 6 hours.

We're expecting Shea to have another chest X-ray soon. If everything looks good, the doctors may remove her last remaining chest tube.

So we are thankful that Shea was strong enough to endure such a lengthy surgery and at this point we assume that the surgeons were able to do everything they wanted to do with the exception of the bone graft as Michael reported. We thank you all for your continued prayers and support.

John Anderson

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shea. Im praying you are not in too much pain from the surgery yesterday. Sorry I didn't write but I knew you had a lot going on. But I see things went better than expected. praise God. Its so awesome to see the ways that He works. I have read a few comments from a lady in Turkey that is a Muslim but daily reading your updates and hoping you are doing well! Wow. Then i got on a blog for a woman named Laura K. in Scottsdale and wrote to her. God is bringing people together in a mighty way globally!!! How crazy is that????
So as I was surfing I found out some interesting things about you..... Like you are starting to do some cosmotology apprenticeship! That is right up your alley! I remember you doing hair and make-up, plus, you were always such an amazing artist. Actually, I believe on more than one occasion you dressed me AND yourself up as men, complete with mascara beards (that were IMPOSSIBLE to scrub off!) lol. Good times. Do you still draw, I always loved the funny pictures of tigers of cats or whatever that you used to draw for me in chorus or a boring Math class! Then I saw that ducti company. It was so funny becuase I remember seeing that wallet you made for your friend and thinking it was a cool idea. Then to find out you inspired this company!!!! You had said your friend's dad wanted to make a company out of it but i would never have imagined that that wallet would start such a trend. Well, good for you! I always knew God would use you- whether it be in the world of music, or make-up, or duct-tape products!!!!
Well, its getting to be Christmas time. I can't help but wonder where this next year will put the both of us. What will your Christmas be like? When will I actually be able to talk to you? When can we see each other again? Only God knows, but i am sure it will be an adventure....
I went to see the Nutcracker ballet last night. My mom and my sister Hannah have been going for the past like 5 years or so. It was amazong, I love the dresses and the music. I fall in love with it more and more every year. But, its time for me to go now. I pray today is full of even more recovery and progress. I listen to your music frequently. Can't wait till that cd comes out and I can dowload it onto my ipod and take you on a run with me. I love you Shea, you have impacted my life more than words can say. So get better soon. and ill talk to you tomorrow.......

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea Baby,
I am so glad that everything went well!! I am praying for you and I love you! Hang in there!!!
xoxox
Renea

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shea Shea,
Were praying for you babe, we know you can pull through this one with flying colors-you’ve got an awesome God on your side!
We Love You,
The Butler clan

7:58 PM  
Blogger W. H. Conner said...

Shea, dear...

Awesome job last night. We're praying about your systemic issues, and guidance for the staff. Keep fighting, sweets, and somehow rest at the same time...

Love,

Hayes

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home