Lauren Shea Hickok

A daily update on the health of accident victim Lauren Shea Hickok. All comments will be read to Shea for encouragement during this ordeal and kept for her review once she has recovered. Shea's latest CD is now available on iTunes. Go to the iTunes Store and search for Shea Hickok to order.

Friday, December 23, 2005

First Day at Shepherd Center

We're a little behind in updating the blog as we have been busy nonstop for the last two days. Leaving Pediatrics Intensive Care Unit was actually very hard for us. The doctors and nurses became family to us. We knew the names of their kids, the churches they attend,their backgrounds, etc. Each nurse spent twelve hours shifts with Shea, and for the first few weeks they barely left the room. We can't begin to name names as we would forget to thank someone very special. Again, a big "thank you" to all our wonderful nurses in PICU. We had a beautiful farewell that afternoon. The nurses flooded Shea's room, and she received gifts and cards from all of them. We took pictures and received lots of hugs. Soon the paramedics came with the gurney and Shea was wheeled away. I was so happy that they allowed me to ride in the ambulance with her. She slept most of the way, and I visited with Bill and heard interesting stories of his thirty years of experience as a paramedic. Great compassionate guy.

Soon we arrived in Atlanta at Shepherd Center. On the sign out front it says, "A Catastrophic Care Hospital." I swallowed hard at the realization of our daughter's next experiences. I have to admit that it was a little scary as we rolled her upstairs to the double doors where overhead it reads," Acquired Brain Inujury Unit." Lots of wheelchairs, helmets, highly brain damaged people. We arrived in the late afternoon when most of the therapists had already gone home, so we sat quietly in her room for awhile. Dr. Kaelin came in soon after and welcomed us warmly.

Our first night was restful except for a young man a few doors down. He has an extreme head injury and screamed and yelled profanities over and over. That seemed a little creepy to us, especially at night, but I was so thrilled with Shea's response. "Oh mom, that poor man -- he can't help it,can he?" We prayed for that family -- how their hearts must break as they cannot yet reach their son's mind. We rejoiced that, by the grace of God, our daughter is fully here in mind. Shea may be moved to a more secluded room today where it will be quiet at night. Everyone here at Sheperd Center is very accomodating and wants to make our stay here as comfortable as possible.

Yesterday was filled with Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy. Many tests by the doctors as well. It was hard for Shea to wheel into the lunch area where each patient is brought their tray. The room is very quiet as most of the patients do not speak. Shea will be on a liquid diet for some time as she has so many wires and rubber bands in her mouth. She has a hard time speaking sometimes as the bands are pulling her mouth shut and there are still stitches inside. There is a plastic plate right at the front to leave space for her front teeth. There is still no feeling on the left side of her face, but we are seeing small flickers of movement close to her mouth. It's becoming harder for her to see herself in the mirror as her entire face is very swollen and, to her, somewhat distorted.

Last night, Luke and Jess, Uncle David, Aunt Joy and Jonathan (Shea's cousin) came to see her. She was very apprehensive about seeing anyone but was encouraged by their remarks as they had seen her at her very worst. I think it's comforting for her to have family here at the hospital. Jess handed Shea a Christmas bear to hug and then cuddled up to her himself. Luke sat on one side of her holding her hand, and Jonathan held her other hand. The first week after the accident, Jonathan was here and spent most of his time in Shea's room. He would come up early in the morning, pull up a chair by Shea's bed and rub her hand. They were swollen and ice cold. He always stayed until the nurses asked him to leave. Shea was quite emotional when we told her of her cousin's love for her.

Last night when everyone left the room we handed Shea her cell phone. I told her that her dad and I called many times during the last month just to hear her voice on her voice mail. She looked at all the messages and realized there was a text message from Mike that she had never gotten. It said ". . . no matter what happens, just remember that I'll always be there for you." Many tears followed.

Today was another busy day so we'll try to write more tonight. We are encouraged and blessed, but we know the road ahead is long. Shea keeps expressing her appreciation for all of you who are continuing to pray for her recovery. Again, we are overwhelmed by your continued interest and love.

"O, come to us, abide with us, our Lord Immanuel."

Our love to you,

Steve and Susan

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for filling us in about the center and your and Shea's experiences there. I am touched by your compassion for those you don't even know in the center. I know that you will be able to share a beautiful testimony in that place. God gives us the most precious gifts, doesn't He? Even though Mike went home to be with the Lord, Shea now has some (more) of his words to hang on to. I love you guys and continue to pray for all that you will encounter on the road ahead.
Merry Christmas!
In His Love,
Kristen

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thinking of you all and praying for Shea at her new place.
I don't know your family; just loved the worship at SBC nights.
Was thinking about how God is using all of this to His glory. I didn't want to share because I didn't really know you all.
In Christ, we are all related, and supposed to reach out and care.
Your sharing and caring to let people in, and be able to care, is awesome!!
It has touched me so much. Have seen, and love the way people are caring and praying.
How we need to stop and care for those who are hurting and need love and help. How busy we all get, too busy to stop. Just like we get so busy this season, and forget the birthday guest.
Was just thinking about you all today in my busyness. What really matters in this world? A lost world, and we are to care.
Thank you through this hardest time; for your love and your lives, they are witnessing and speaking to so many!!
Shea, I do not know you, but your music just brings me right to prayer. I pray for you so much, and pray things will get better each day. You are just amazing!! Your love and trust in God is evident in your strength and courage now. May He use you mightily and strenghten you each and every minute.

Remember, our Redeemer is faithful and true and every thing He has said He will do.

God's peace and blessings this day,

Denise Nicolette

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Susan, for giving time and thought to sharing the details of this transition. What a sweet, sweet daughter you have. You are in our thoughts all through each day. Shea, we are praying for God's continued grace, strength, help, and healing, as you proceed through this next phase of recovery. "You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind [both its inclination and its character] is stayed on You, because he commits himself to You, leans on You, and hopes confidently in You." Isaiah 26:3 (Amplified) We love you. Gaylard & Sharon

5:50 PM  
Blogger W. H. Conner said...

Shea, dear...


It's a relief to all of us to hear how you've settled into rehab as comfortably as could be expected. I know you don't consider yourself to be brave or worthy of admiration, but you truly are those things, hun. I've thought lately about how your spirit, which must admittedly struggle at times, seems to bring out the best in everyone around you. If I ever face a situation in life with the seriousness of yours, I pray to be able to exhibit the grace and sweetness which you so often show. I'll be thinking and praying you through the challenging hours ahead, and hope that you're able to feel our arms lifting you up from across the miles...

All my love,

Hayes

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're amazed at your recovery and yet we know there are tough times ahead for you. You've been incredibly strong and in fact have helped a lot of us deal with this accident. It seems funny to say, but you really have brought strength, encouragement and hope to many of us. I know you don't think you had anything to do with that but you're selling yourself a little short. You are amazing and the fact that you don't see it makes it even sweeter.

Merry Christmas Shea. We love you.

John, Liz, Elliot, Laura and Charles

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Steve. Glad to know Shea is settling in okay. Just think of all the people at your new place that you will touch! You are all still in my prayers.

Christy

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea Hickok~
I have been reading these updates since the accident, and each day, I cannot believe how far you've come. You may not remember, but I met you at Meagan's birthday party at Kennesaw. I just want to tell you that you have changed my life and opened my eyes to what God can do. You and Mike both. God's power is obvious and you are a true miracle. I love you and I am here for you, and I am so happy that you are getting better. I was very worried. Jesus loves you so much. Have a merry Christmas!!
-Kayla Lindke

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha Shea-
It is the Lazzara and Jones family again from Maui, Hawaii. The internet has been down here at the hotel, but Josh, Emily's boyfriend has been keeping us posted on your progress. I called your cell phone just to hear your voice today and with the hopes that you might answer. WE CAN'T wait to wrap our arms around you girl. You are in our thoughts constantly and you can't imagine how much we love you. We hope to see you Sunday night or Monday.
We love you - - - Aloha for now,
Anna, Bill, Emily, Kyle, Megan and Katie

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie, I just wanted to write to let you know I am thinking of you.
I am so glad to hear that you found a text message from Michael. I cherish the note he wrote on my note pad downstairs. It reads..."I love you Mom" ...Michael.
I keep it in a frame on my night stand so it is the last thing I see at night and the first thing I see the next morning. I will miss seeing the two of you together. But,he really will always be with us.

I would like to come see you soon.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family everyday.
I am so happy with all the amazing progress you have done. I'll see you soon

Love,
Deborah

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey starh! love you im glad everything is going a lot better, I left you a message but im sure you have a million but it helps me too to also hear your voice it comforts me! =) much love kati
MERYY KISSMAS!

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea,
It is so good to hear that you are doing better. Even though we are all on break, we still continue to keep each other updated on your progress. You have show amazing amounts of strength and courage to all of us. We can not wait to see you beautiful face (when you are good and ready… of course!!). We wish you and your family a marvelous Christmas. We continue to pray for all of you.
Lots of Love,
The Kennesaw girls from 2523

1:40 AM  
Blogger goz said...

Happy Christmas! Know that Tami and I have not ceased praying for you and we will continue as God is not through with you. May you know His presence and feel his closeness.
We love you,
goz & Tami

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Shea, however i knew Mike. I was in a class with Mike at Kennesaw and he was an absolutely amazing person. Shea has constantly been in my thoughtsand prayers, as well as the others involved in the accident and the families of those as well. I have tried to stay up to date with Shea's health but did not discover this site until tonight. I sat and read and was continually amazed. I have always been a woman of God and had a great faith but i felt something different has i read of Sheas amazing journey and recovery. Her story has truely touched my heart and has opened it up wide. I was struggling in my life right now and i believe God works in mysterious ways. So as i finish my post i want to say thank you... because in your own miraculous way Shea.. you have shed light into my life about just how amazing our God is.. and my heart and prayers are with you. I know i am joined with hundred when i say that you are one of Gods miracles. May God continue to bless you and i hope the New Year brings you only the best. Happy Holidays, Allison

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Shea's journey of healing and love. I share the news with many of the faculty and staff at Peachtree Ridge who lift all of the family up in their thoughts and prayers. My church, Chattachoochee Christian Church, has been praying for Shea since the beginning of this experience. All of the folks there celebrate with you in the miracle of God's love. We will continue to pray for you! Shea, each time I pray for you, I picture you walking into class with that smile and gracious, loving attitude. I look forward to seeing you again. I pray that God will continue to bless you and your family in the new year.
Lana Snellgrove,
Your Pride
teacher at PRHS

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home