Lauren Shea Hickok

A daily update on the health of accident victim Lauren Shea Hickok. All comments will be read to Shea for encouragement during this ordeal and kept for her review once she has recovered. Shea's latest CD is now available on iTunes. Go to the iTunes Store and search for Shea Hickok to order.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Shea can talk!

Hi Everyone,

This is Kathy again. It's about 8:00 a.m., and I just finished my "shift" at the hospital. Now I'm at the Ronald McDonald House because I just had to tell you all that after sleeping pretty much straight through since 10:00 last night, Shea is awake, lucid, and talking.

Yesterday she had a new trach put in, and this one allows her to talk! The first sound I heard was in the middle of the night when she just made little sounds when the nurse would hook up her feeding tube. Then she said to me, "Why am I so tired?" I chuckled a little and told her that it was because she had been awake for several days, and now she's catching up. She seemed satisfied with that and went back to sleep.

At 7:30 Jeanne came in to relieve me. Shea was just waking up, and while Jeanne was getting a warm compress ready to put over Shea's swollen eye, Shea was talking to me. I told her how wonderful it was to hear her voice, to hear her talking to us, and she pointed to her temple and made a painful expression. I asked her if that hurt, and she shook her head and said, "It's hard to think." Yesterday morning she was so frustrated when she couldn't write anything coherent for me, and I said, "Everything's a jumble in your mind right now, isn't it Shea?" She nodded her head, and the tears came. So this is something we should pray about. I assured her that everything will get clearer in her mind as the days go by and that she must be patient.

Jeanne came over to the bed, and Shea asked "Where's my mom?" Jeanne told her that we have to make her go home and get some rest because she's been at the hospital so much. Again Shea cried. She asked, "Why do I cry so much?" and we told her that it's because of all the medicines she's been on but that with time that would pass. It's difficult to know how to answer all of her questions--how thorough to be in explaining things.

Jeanne and I were both getting nervous that she may start asking us about her boyfriend Mike, and we wanted Susan or Steve to be with her when she did, so I called Susan and told her that Shea was asking for her. Those were sweet words for Susan to hear! Please pray about this matter of telling Shea about Mike. Because of the medicines she's been on, the doctors have said that she will not remember the accident or even a couple of days before that. Dr. Carter said that he thinks she needs to be told at the first opportunity.

Let me back up just a bit and tell you that Steve's sister Joy came yesterday from Colorado. Joy was aptly named. She brought real joy to Shea, and she brought relief to Susan. Joy told Susan not to come in to the hospital right away as is her custom. "Just sleep in," Joy told her, and Susan did--for the first time in 4 weeks. One look at her told us that she had had a great night's sleep--she looked great. Joy came at just the right time, and we are all so grateful for her!

They did a CAT scan on the left side of Shea's face yesterday, and it showed no visible nerve damage. That doesn't mean that there is no damage, but it is good news.

NEWS FLASH: Jeanne just called from the hospital. Dr. Carey was just in with Shea, looked at her left eye and asked her to raise her eyebrow and she did!!! I'm crying as I type. This is such good news. Jeanne said that Dr. Carey was so excited by it, and Shea looked at him like she was asking what she had done that was so wonderful!

Jeanne also said that Shea is saying that her face is hurting her a lot. Yesterday Dr. Dunn removed a blood clot from her ear canal, and that may be the source of her pain. Anyway, they are giving her Advil now--no more narcotics.

Today Charley and I take Karen to the Atlanta airport for a 5:00 flight back to Dallas, and then we are heading back to Knoxville. I can't tell you how hard it is to leave Macon right now! Shea is Shea again. No cloudiness or puzzled looks. She's just herself! I told her that we have a lot of stories to tell her, and she said, "About me?" and I said yes. She groaned and said, "Oh no!"

Yes, the stories will come. Stories of God's goodness, of the love of family and friends, of the sweet care the doctors and nursing staff have given. And we wonder what stories Shea will have to tell us. Our sleeping beauty is awake. Praise God!

Kathy Falk

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea, I am so excited for you and your family. You have helped me to take a new look at life, at God. I just listened to the two songs posted on the blog. You have an amazing voice. I hope you can get back to singing soon. Keep your spirits up and I know that God will help you on your journey.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea,
I read this everytime I get on the internet, which here in Kennesaw is a whole lot. This news is awesome, and if I weren't awake so early, I would share it with all of my roommates (none of which are awake right now). The news of your talking as well as having no nerve damage is so go to hear. We are all praying for you and your family, and it seems God is answering our prayers as you make it through this journey. We love you and you truely are a miracle!!! Continue to be strong, Shea. I can't wait to see your lovely face again!
Love,
Heather Evans

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David just came running downstairs and said "Read Shea's Web site." I stopped what I was doing and jumped on the site! Boy, am I glad I did. It seems like such a long haul, but today's news to hear "Shea is talking" was wonderful!! I know what is going to happen for the rest of the day....David will be listening to Shea's songs.

Does anyone know when we will be able to buy Shea's CD?

Prayers are so powerful. We send prayers to Susan and Steve. We know telling Shea about Michael is going to be so hard.

I ask you all to keep Anna and Bill in your prayers, too. The Jones family continues to need lots of support as each day passes.

Love from a snowy Topeka, Kansas.

Susan, George, Christopher and David Huckabee

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!

Thank you so much for the update. It is exciting to think that throughout this day Shea will most likely be talking with her family--what precious words!

We will be praying for grace for some hard conversations that must take place. May you all know His presence and the reality of peace that passes understanding.

Much love, Lisa

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve and Susan,
How fun it was to wake up this morning and hear the things that Shea was saying...I just feel like we keep getting more and more glimpses of our sweet shea!
I can just hear her saying "oh no" after being told they have stories about her. I can just picture how her expression would be and the tone of her voice.
I have written on my chalkbard at home that the verse that says "His timing is perfect and never slow.. so that all may come to repentance in Christ Jesus"(majorly paraphrased) and that is what I just keep reminding myself about this whole situation. He knows every intricate detail and can heal Shea in a heartbeat...but He has a greater plan...and I know that Shea is going to be used in a mighty way for God. That is what I can't wait to see...how He is going to use her...and you guys too! Susan, you were so sweet just loving on all the other patients and they families. No doubt He is using you both mightly right now at the hospital. We love you guys so much
Love,
Jenny Ingram

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Hickocks-
wanted you to know we are still watching, praying and praising!
much love

11:32 AM  
Blogger W. H. Conner said...

Shea, dear,

Good morning...It's really wonderful to see you returning to us, day by day...

Love,

Hayes

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

our prayers have been answered so many times. You are Talking with that sweet voice! I can not wait to see you and listen to you again. We constantly get onto the blog to check on you. We are surrounded with your pictures and we are waiting for your return. Keep up your strength and continue to heal.
To all of the family members, Steve and Susan
We all pray for you.

Love
Teri Newman

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallelujah! I'd checked the blog yesterday, last night, and then when I got home from errands this morning. When news came at last, what wonderful news -- to know that Shea is resting better, talking, and raising her left eyebrow! May God continue to strengthen and bless you, Shea. God bless you, Steve and Susan. We're praying for you always and rejoicing with you today. With love, Gaylard & Sharon

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woah, thats amazing. i'm so glad! God is truely amazing! I can hear Shea saying "oh no" when you guys told her there are stories about her. I love you, Shea. Keep up the faith and keep fighting strong. You're doing great!

Megan

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SHEA!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to talk to you!! You keep progressing ok?! You have made it so far and through so much..you are just so strong girl! You have made me really think about the person I want to be in life and I hope you realize how truly blessed you are! I love you girl!

Love, Dani

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is FABULOUS news!!! All praise goes to our AMAZING GOD!Thanks, Kathy, for the update. Hope you have a safe trip home to Knoxville.
Still praying,
Dawn

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, Susan and family - so much to thank God for! But it is still it is a great mystery - the joy mixed with pain. If it weren't for all that God has so graciously spared you from, the situation now would seem overwhelming. We pray for your strength for the long time of emotional and physical recovery ahead. Thanks again to your wonderful family for sharing with us every day!

I will not fear for You are with me;
I will not be dismayed, for You are my God.
You will strengthen me and help me;
You will uphold me with your righteous right hand.
For You are the Lord my God, who takes hold of my right hand
and says to me, "Do not fear; I will help you."
Isaiah 41:10,13

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shea,
It's your Aunt Liz. I couldn't sleep last night so I was praying for you much of the night and I thank God for so many answers to prayer.

I can't tell you how happy I am that you woke up and that you are talking! I am having trouble reconciling how you probably appear there in the hospital with your face hurting and a picture of you sitting in a chair in jeans and a t-shirt. In my minds eye I hadn't dared let myself imagine you in jeans and a t-shirt for all these week but I'm so happy I'm allowing my imagination to think forward a few months.

The main picture I have of you is one of hope. Hope and joy. Hope and joy and THANKSGIVING to God for giving you back to us. Merry, Merry Christmas dear girl. Did you know Christmas is coming? Don't worry, I haven't bought anyone any gifts or put up a single decoration either because it just didn't seem quite right with you there in Macon at the Medical Center of Central Georgia (did you know you weren't in Atlanta?) but in 7 days it will be Christmas and YOU are the present I've been waiting for. Ill see you, maybe on Christmas Eve and maybe they'll make me stay out in the hall, I don't know, but one way or another, I'll get a peak of you. This is like a Birthday don't you think, December 17, the advent (waiting for)of Shea is over and we have incarnation (you, right there in your own body). The next picture I see is Jesus giving us a smile and a wink.
Love and Happy Jingle Bells,
Aunt Liz
PS I won't stop praying. I know this is the start of a long, Kind of hard, but really happy road.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Shea! I'm so thankful to hear that you are able to talk with your family. We are continuing to pray for you and keep praising God for His wonderfully gracious answers to our prayers for you. I hope you will one day be able to grasp the magnitude of what He has been doing in you and through you in this past month. I think we all are still trying to do just that(understand the magnitude, that is :).

Will they be reluctant to kick you out of the ICU because you have been such a big encouragement there?

Keep getting better. It's so great to read about your progress.

Betty Anne

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Shea is talking!
Hey Girly, to wake up this morning and read this has made my weekend. i have been really sick with a fever and a bad cough. Shea it is just so amazing how much you have healed in such a short time and i dont think that i have ever seen such a miracle and to see God work so amazing through somebody so special! I continue to pray for you everyday and i think about you so much. I cant wait to be able to see you soon! Hang in there beautiul!
I love You my little Bunny,
Love Renea

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN!

GOD WORKS WONDERS!
GOD BLESS YOU SHAE & FAMILY.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What an amazing praise!!!!!
I'm passing the news on to our household, and we are just praising God!!!!
Praying for the continued words to say to Shea. God is keeping every one of her tears!1 How sweet!!!!
As Pastor Bill would say, sometimes there are now words to say, except that you love her and are there.
We keep you all in continued prayer, as God's story continues to unfold,

Denise

Denise

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! I can't believe it! We are so thankful for what the Lord is doing!

Love,

The Yardleys

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home