Lauren Shea Hickok

A daily update on the health of accident victim Lauren Shea Hickok. All comments will be read to Shea for encouragement during this ordeal and kept for her review once she has recovered. Shea's latest CD is now available on iTunes. Go to the iTunes Store and search for Shea Hickok to order.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Another Good Day in Macon

I arrived back in Macon from Ft. Stewart this afternoon. It is amazing to see the
difference 24 hours makes in Shea's progress. Shea's face and hands were
noticeably less swollen. Molly, one of Shea's nurses, said Shea is beginning to
look like her pictures. That was so good to hear.

This morning the ventilator was again removed from Shea. She has been off it all
day long and is doing fine. She does have the C-PAP machine giving her humidified
oxygen.

Susan and Steve were very busy today helping Shea stay in bed! It is a constant
battle as she is weaned off of morphine to be able to be still. She closes her
eyes for a few minutes and then she is again thrashing around in her bed trying to
scooch down, fling her legs out of bed, flail her arms to one side and then the
other. Susan and Steve help lift her back up on the bed and then it begins again.
They said they have done this all day long and are truly exhausted.

The Physical Therapist visited Shea this afternoon and with the help of another
nurse and Susan and Steve they were able to get Shea in a sitting position on the
edge of her bed. They held her in that position while the Physical Therapist
worked with her. When asked to make the number two with her foot, Shea readily
moved her foot to do so. She also made a circle, the numer One and other motions
to satisfy and encourage the therapist.

The left side of Shea's face is still in a paralysis state. The majority of the
surgery occurred on the left side. When asked to raise her right eyebrow, she does
so. When asked to raise her left eyebrow she doesn't seem to be able to. She has
not yet opened her left eye and the left side of her mouth, her left cheek and her
left nostril do not respond as the right side does.

We have talked at length about the perception that some have of Shea's progress.
It is indeed a miracle that she's alive and when we see little, sometimes tiny
changes, we get very excited. However, Susan and Steve want you all to know that
she is still in ICU and still facing monumental challenges.

Some who have recently seen her have been surprised. They felt that the blog
made them feel like Shea was sitting up in bed and talking to us. One indiviudal
was surprised that she was still in ICU. It is rather a fine line to report with
enthusiasm and a positive spirit her progress and yet let you know that she still
has a long, long way to go.

I hope this helps you to understand that although we are so encouraged and
praising God for every bit of good news, we, who are here and see her every day,
know she has so much ahead and there are some things we do not yet know.

I am headed back to the hospital but there are three things Steve and Susan would
like you to pray for.

(1) Strength and health in the coming days for Susan and Steve. This is hard,
physical work.

(2) Rejuvenation of facial nerves on the left side of Shea's face.

(3) Peace in Shea's body so she can sleep tonight. She has had little sleep
today.

Thank you,
Jeanne Burch
PS My son-in-law was released from the hospital and is home doing fine. He is on
medication and responding well. Thank you for remembering them during this time.
PPS Some of you have asked for the address of the Ronald McDonald House where the Hickok family is staying. It is 1160 Forsyth Street, Macon, GA 31201

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shea!

So a few weeks we were talking about this wedding that I was going to in Portland. Well I went tonight, with my hair done all rockstar (rockstar, right Susan?) by your fabulous salon, and no one recognized me! I kept having to introduce myself to all these people that I grew up with! So all the tea drinking and dieting paid off. =)

Girl, it's been, like, five days since I've seen you and I miss your sweet face! Can't wait til I get to see you again...SOON I hope.

Steve and Susan--I love you guys

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to say a special "Thank You" to all those that post the information each day and sometimes more than once a day about Shea's progress. I check the site often to read the postings. It helps me know how to pray for Susan, Steve, Shea, and the family. I sincerely appreciate you keeping us informed. It is the first thing I read when I get on line and usually the last thing I check at night. So "thanks" for the updates. That is a ministry in itself. Debbie Harmon, Brittany Shea's mother.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Little Shea Stahrr,

Rest up girlie. Some day soon you will be able to get up and spread joy and sunshine to everyone. For now you need to rest up and heal your body. I praise God for the many improvements that you have made, and I pray for the many more that you still have ahead of you! Beautiful girl, I am here for you now, and when you will need me in the future. I love you.

Susan and Steve,

I know how hard days like today must be on you both. I am praying for strengh for you and your whole family. Stay strong, lean on God when you are feeling weary. Praise the "God of Wonders" who is healing your beautiful Shea. Susan: I am so glad I got to speak to you today. Tell the boys I am thinking about them and praying for them as well. I love you guys.

XoXo,
Amy (Heart) Thomas

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear heavenly Father I pray that you will allow Susan and Steve to get a good nights sleep so in the morning they will be able to again give their all to Shea. Lord you have chosen such wonderful parents for Shea and it is their love and others that has given Shea the fight to live. I pray for Shea as she struggles every day with a new task that not long ago was so simple for her. I pray for the doctors and her nurses for the knowledge that they need to help with Shea's healing. How great thou art as you continue your miricle as Shea's Great Physician Amen

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Beautiful Shea Shea,
I finally got around to putting the ornaments on the tree today, and since they have been packed up for the past two Christmas's we had forgotten about a lot of them. But out came the one we always called our Shea Angel because she looks so much like you when you were younger. A lot like the Heritage Video you did with your dad. We have it in the center of our tree...truly you will be our focus of prayer this season as we celebrate our Saviors birth, as you have been the last few weeks. You’re in the Almighty hands of our glorious Healer, and that gives us comfort. Rest our precious sister, we love you, and so does our Risen Savior!
Rick and Terri

Dearest Steve and Susan,
When reading His Word, singing, and praying, Shea and your family are so the forefront of our thoughts. Reading through Deuteronomy I came upon the promise of the Lords deliverance of the Israelites, “You saw with your own eyes the great trials, the miraculous signs and wonders, the mighty hand and outstretched arm, with which the LORD your God brought you out.” Your going through the trials, and seeing the miraculous signs and wonders of His mighty work…My prayer (in boldness yet with reverence), is that Our Almighty God will bring you out of this season quickly. Our hearts ache for you all, and yet we rejoice in the daily news of Shea’s healing. May there be never ending rejoicing soon. We do so love you,
Rick and Terri

1:06 AM  
Blogger W. H. Conner said...

Steve,

I just want you to know that I'm praying especially for you, in addition to the obvious requests. Helping patients (and 18 year old daughters)in this stage of the healing process stay in bed around the clock is a task that's impossible to understand in terms of how exhausting it is, unless anyone's been there. My prayer is that your own immune system will be protected, and that emotionally and physically you'll feel all of our prayers lifting your arms in a Moses kind of way. We love you, dude, and wish we could be there to help, somehow.....

Hayes

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Sheatown-
It's great to hear how anxious you are get back to action with everyone. You really are amazing. I miss you so much and look forward to when I can see you. Rest well and keep being so strong. I love you Shea!!
<3 Katie
"Kaycity"

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve & Susaan

I was so heartbroken to hear of Shea's accident and death of her boyfriend. Joyfull when I heard that your son, Luke had pulled her out from under the trailer and revived her. I keep praying for her complete recovery so that she can sing to out Lord with that beautiful voice of hers.
In regards to her emotional state, could it be that she hasn't seen her boyfriend? Has she been told fo his passing? Tom was asking me if she could write. Could she type out her message on a computer?
I can't even imagine what you and your families are going thru and I'm encourage about Dr dela Cruz and Shea's recovery so far. I pray that her progress continues, if that is God's will.
May the Lord give you peace thru this trying time.

Love you all,

Catherine Fusco

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home