Lauren Shea Hickok

A daily update on the health of accident victim Lauren Shea Hickok. All comments will be read to Shea for encouragement during this ordeal and kept for her review once she has recovered. Shea's latest CD is now available on iTunes. Go to the iTunes Store and search for Shea Hickok to order.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Hey Y'all From Atlanta

This is Shea’s Aunt Liz and I just spent Tuesday evening with Shea and 11 other family members including Shea’s cousin Sarah and her husband CJ who came from Boston. I hope Shea won’t mind if I give you a snap shot--she’s a “no pictures please” kind of star but inquiring minds want to know. Most of you haven’t been able to be here or see Shea and you want to SEE her for yourself, so I’ll do my best. Shea’s room is quite large but there isn’t much in it save for two beds and a couple pieces of furniture. There is the Christmas tree with the ornaments containing pictures of her salon work mates near her bed. Shea is sitting on her hospital bed in snazzy olive velour jumpsuit, with her colorful fleece blankets and her light up pillow from home. Don’t worry about previous blogs and the scary hair cutting story, Shea has plenty of hair to go around and though the sore on her head is painful, no one would ever know she lost any hair. Shea’s blond hair is shoulder length and has a nice wave at the bottom. Shea has a black Velcro strappy contraption from thigh to ankle on her right leg. The leg contraption bends at the knee. I managed to put my hand on Shea’s knee and rub her right foot at various points during my visit, both of which caused her to wince. Some of us are just drawn to the sore spots. Shea walks with a walker to take the pressure off of her sore left leg.

(Shea, I’m sorry sweet girl, but everyone wants to see your face) and I honestly tell you that if you didn’t know her well, you would only see a lovely young woman. If you know her well, you might notice a little swelling on her left cheek. After she chats with you a while you notice she has a piece of plastic in her mouth that gets in her way a little when she talks. Shea’s eyes are large and luminous and both look perfect, but she is quick to show you a tiny stitch at the corner or her left eye which you would never see if she didn’t point it out (why do we ladies do that?). We marveled today over the matching smile lines on both sides of Shea’s lovely mouth and Grandma Hickok dimple on the left cheek which just reappeared today. Shea’s nose is “perkier” than I remembered and will probably need some surgery to make it look like her old nose. The left side of Shea’s face is still numb but she felt a tear that fell down her cheek yesterday. As the numbness fades there is increased pain so that is an uncomfortable trade off, and her mouth is getting sorer.

There were matching smile lines on lots of faces this evening as Shea recounted as much as she could remember of the “big test” that was administered by the doctor’s today who were trying to find SOME kind of brain damage because that’s their job at Shepherd Center in the brain injury unit. In one test the doctor held up pictures and asked Shea what number from one to four the pictures reminded her of? When Shea told them the number the doctor claimed she was wrong, and that wasn’t the correct number to be reminded of. She asked the doctor what it was supposed to remind her of and he said he couldn’t tell her in case she ever had a brain injury again and had to be retested. Shea said she was thinking, “You’re worried I’m having another accident and that it would be a problem if I can remember the answer to this question????” Shea had us all laughing. Of course I’m not a neuropsychologist, but I think Shea’s mind seems sharp as a tack.
She said the questions seemed so weird but she tried hard not to laugh and to take it seriously because she wanted a good result so she could go home as soon as possible. When Shea goes home (which we pray is as soon as possible), she will come back to Shepherd’s on a daily basis for therapy of all sorts. It is very hard work, but Shea feels and looks like she is getting back into shape fast.

Susan and Steve are such an encouragement to the other patients and their families. They have befriended Paul (a young music lover about Shea’s age with similar injuries) and his parents. Susan walks the halls and visits with everyone she meets. Shea is so kind to each nurse, carefully calling them by name and thanking them for their care. The Hickok’s truly make any place they are better and brighter.

Susan has been sleeping on a mat on the floor beside Shea’s bed (42 nights away from home so far). One of the night nurses got quite a fright to find someone lying on the floor in the middle of the night. Steve has been staying in an apartment provided by Shepherd Center in downtown Atlanta (though tonight he’s going home to Jesse and Luke).

Those of you who have been following this wonderful saga know of Aunt Jeanne and we (John and Liz and the kids) are going to her house at Fort Stewart, Georgia tomorrow to see her and Uncle (Colonel) Larry who returns from Baghdad on Friday. What a wonderful family I married in to when I became an Anderson. Even the in-laws of my in-laws are incredible people (God bless Joy and David). And God has surely blessed us all in myriad ways, not the least or last of which has been in the literal reincarnation of our dear Shea.

Praises to the One who holds all things together,
Liz
(The following is part of what King Hezekiah said in Isaiah 38:15-20 after he recovered from a life threatening illness.) But what can I say? He has spoken to me, and he himself has done this. I will walk humbly all my years because of this anguish of my soul. Lord, by such things men live; and my spirit finds life in them too. You restored me to health and let me live. Surely it was for my benefit that I suffered such anguish. In your love you kept me from the pit of destruction; you have put all my sins behind your back. For the grave cannot praise you, death cannot sing your praise; those who go down to the pit cannot hope for your faithfulness. The living, the living—they praise you, as I am doing today; fathers tell their children about your faithfulness. The LORD will save me, and we will sing with stringed instruments all the days of our lives in the temple of the LORD.

23 Comments:

Blogger Christina Raye said...

I have met Shea but I have been praying for her and her family. I've been touched by how God has been working in your lives and I find myself close to tears when I read the blog. Shea has touched my life in a way I will never forget.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Aunt Liz, for the "picture" of Shea. It has been so wonderful to keep up with her progress...to know what exactly to pray for...and now, to get a "picture". Of course, we would all like to come and see her for ourselves, but we understand the need to focus on the therapy. We will all get to see her soon enough.

Well, Miss Shea. PT is going to be an adventure. Some of the exercises will make you wonder " Why in the world do they have me doing this one???" Sort of like, "Why are they having me pedal that bike backwards??" (It's because it is easier after a knee injury).Some of them are going to be really hard...but you can do it, girlie!!!! In a few days, you'll be able to pedal the bike foreward. It is amazing how fast things start to come together. I am still praying that you will have strength,stamina, and minimal pain and frustration for the PT. Make sure you get them to either ice, or heat those sore spots....it feels so good after a tough session. :)

Oh...tell your mom that I have an air mattress that would feel much better than a mat on the floor...LOL!

** patiently waiting for progress reports and prayer requests**

10:53 AM  
Blogger W. H. Conner said...

Hey, Fam...


We're praying for the soon arrival of the day when you can, each in turn, look back on this period of your lives, shake your heads and heave a huge sigh that it's over. Until then, thanks, Liz, for creating a mental picture of her for us, and Shea, dear, we love you and are helping "will" you through PT each day. It really will get easier...:o)

Love,

Hayes

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the "picture" it gave me a visual! Still praying for you sweet Shea! - Christy

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheaaa! The Garcia family has been in and out of town partying...It is Christmas time!! We have prayed that this Christmas would be particularly meaniful for every family who gets to experience the joy,warmth and fun that children bring the to season. You have taught us all a great lesson..."never take your kids for granted". We are so pleased that you are gaining strength and we can't wait to see you! Your Aunt Liz has done a wonderful job describing you to us...her description posed a major difference from when we glanced at your bruised but still beautiful face the hours and days after your accident.

As Kiley put it...
God has spared our Shea...what a great Christmas present!

Psalm 18

The Garcia's

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz,
Thank you soo much for the lovely description of Shea. I'm so glad to hear that the feeling is returning to the left side of her face even though it means more pain. Can't wait to see the entire family back at church.

Steve and Susan,
I'm sure you are enjoying being back in Atlanta even though Shepherds is a long way from Suwanee. If there is anything I can do, don't hesitate to call.

We had an extra special Christmas this year marveling in the birth of our Saviour and the miracles of Shea.

Teresa Holman

5:21 PM  
Blogger HoagFamily said...

Praise the Lord for his daily miracles and innovative ways to astound the doctors!

We continue to pray daily for Shea and the Hickocks (there sure seem to be a LOT of Hickocks we didn't previously know about).

Shea, I can't wait to get my hands on your CD. I listen to the songs posted here all the time. What a gift of song God has given to you. I'm also looking forward to hearing you sing at church again.

Ps, can we start having Ignition down at your room until you are back to church? ;-)

We love you and your Family, and God who brought all of us together for such a time as this!

Cheers,

Tim

7:16 PM  
Blogger HoagFamily said...

Hey Susan, we have a nice cot you can use... if you want "suffer for Jesus" a little less at night.

Tim

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz, You go girl! Thanks for the update. Yes, I would agree that you married into terrific family, but I just want to know, how many aunts and uncles are there?!!!

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea

I hope all of the tests they run come back passed with flying colors! I'm sure they will!

I have another friend, Brittney Harrington, I think I told you about her before, but she was in a wreck a few weeks before I was back in January, and she is an out-patient there at Shepard's for her rehab..I haven't talked to her in a while, but if you run into her,maybe you could talk to her and give her your testimony..She has been through a lot as well. She had a lot of brain injury and was in a coma for about 5 months but is coming along pretty well, but she could probably use one of your pep talks..she gets really frustrated and somewhat depressed..just thought I'd let you know..in case you see her there!! But anyways, I am praying for your face and your eye to heal and for you to be able to go home as soon as possible..so i can see you..i miss you so much girlfriend!!! Love ya!

love, Dani


Ps..I'm so glad you got to go home for Christmas!

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the 'picture' of our Shea!

Shea, you are doing so great! I love reading this blog, it has became a regular routine in our family. We always tell eachother "there's a new blog!" And we rush to read it.
Girl, I miss your hugs! I can't wait to see you again. I bet your hair looks beautiful how it is..I mean, come on you are Shea..you always look beautiful! You're faith in God never stops, you're amazing to me. I admire you so much. I am listening to your song "Song in me" I absolutaely love it! I can't wait for your CD to come out. Shea, you have always been that person I look forward to seeing every Sunday at church, and every once in a while when I see you when I'm with Luke for guitar. You can always make me smile. You mean so much to me and I look up to you so much, and I could never explain how much. I love you, Shea!

Megan Kucala

P.S. I love the rest of you Hickok's! You guys are in our prayers regularly along with the Jones's and the band members.
P.S.S. May I add we miss Cali so much. Our dog gets depressed when I come down stairs without Cali. I miss that dog grabbing my hand with her mouth.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, wow, wow, wow, WOW!!!!! Thank-you Liz (and Shea) for that picture. Everyone has been very careful about that subject, but its so good to hear that you are doing so well. i saw that stunning picture of you in a silky pink shirt. its absolutely GORGEOUS, and honestly, from what i have heard, not a lot has changed. How awesome that God protected you and your sweet face. I don't know if you ever delt with feeling insecure before the accident, but if you want to talk about anything, please, just call or send me an email. k? and i thought it was so appropriate that your aunt said that about how quickly we women are to point out our own faults. But i think the secret is not to talk about it. This may sound cynical, but most people are so concerned about what THEY look like, that they are hardly ever as critical of you as you are of yourself. its kind of ironic actually.
And how good to hear that you are challenging those doctors everyday with quick responses and smart answers! But i can imagine how hard it is not to laugh after some of the odd questions they ask you. But im glad to hear you are laughing again. i think its one of the best gifts, and medicines that God ever gave us! It must feel good to have such joy in your life. i can remember when we were younger and id get so frustrated because id ask you a question and for some reason you would just get that contagious smile and start laughing at me!!!! lol. then id start laughing and we would both end up getting in trouble by a teacher (usually mr. macelhaney, is that how you spelled our science teachers name???) man, he was an..... interesting man.
Well, i have to get off now, but i love you and am waiting to hear from ya.....
rae

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been traveling since Christmas Day, and I finally got to check up on dear Shea! I'm so grateful that the progress hasn't slowed down in the least. To God bwe the glory! Cynthia Taylor

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Shea.. You are one hot momma. Of course you are in an olive velour jumpsuit because you cant help but be a little diva. And furthermore you are a genious-
As I was reading those tests that they have been giving you, I am sitting here thinking I havn't been through an accident and I cant tell you who is on the $5 bill. Brilliant and Beautiful, that's what you are. I cant wait to give a squeeze- I just love you so much. We are flying into the A.T.L. today and are excited to get home. I know you are so excited to be home too and in your beautiful rock star room with your cloud painted ceiling that your daddy did for you. You are so loved little Shea.
Please someone give Shea a kiss on the cheek for me....love Jenny Ingram

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea! Hey girl! I miss you so much and can't wait to see your beautiful face sometime soon I hope! It was so good to hear that you are doing so well and to hear my mom's voice when she said that she talked to you was amazing! For those who don't know me and are with Shea I am Mike's older sister and I love Shea so much and can't wait to see her again! I love you girl and Susan and Steve you guys are awesomw and I kept praying for you guys and your family all the time. It was good to see Luke at the house a couple of times since we have been back from our much needed vacation to Hawaii. But for you Shea, I love you and can't wait to see you and just know that you will always be a part of the Jones family!! LOve you!!
Emily

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a quick word to you Shea, and all the family & friends. . .

We are all so very encouraqged by these updates. Each time we check the blog, we get another report of the mighty work that God is doing in Georgia! Shea, you are blessed to have so many family and friends nearby as you grow stronger and work your way through rehab and PT.

Be patient with those doctors. Now I'm not a doctor, but I'll bet they ask lots of silly questions because they don't have anything else to do with their time. It's probably a game they play; they get together at the end of the day to see who asked the silliest question each day (there's probably a prize involved) ;~)

Hickoks - you are such an amazing clan! We love you, and you're sorely mised back here in AZ!

Keith & Kathy Shull

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Shea its Megan Hoag! We are so excited that God has let us keep you! We are still praying for you everyday! Everyday, I can hardly wait to read about you! Your recovery has taught us all many things. My little sister, Emily changed her build-a-bear's name to "Shea" as soon as she heard about the accident. She never knew you that well, but to see a six year old praying for you so hard, and everything, really touches us. She can't wait to meet you for maybe the second time. She always wants to help me and the youth group girls at the table after church, when we give away ribbons saying, "I pray for Shea". We love you Shea and can't wait to hear you singing, and have you back at church. You have no idea what an incredible role model you are!
xoxoxox! Love,
Megan Hoag

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shea!

I wish you could have visitors because I live right next to the Shepherd Center! I live in the apartments behind Benihana on Peachtree Park Drive...! How ironic! Maybe I can see you before you get to go home for good (which will hopefully be soon)! I am sooooo thrilled that you are doing better and I will continue to pray for you. You truly are a miracle.
Happy New Year if I don't get to see you!!!!!!

Love ya!
***Brittany-Shea

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheatown-
Hey girlfriend! I finally got around to reading the latest updates for myself since we got home from vacation. I can't tell you how encouraging it is for me, as well as the rest of the Jones family, to read of your fast paced recovery. YOu know that we will come to see you as soon as you get home and are ready to see us. I miss you so much. Don't worry, I'll get together some Hilary Duff(pre-dramatic weight loss) flicks for us to watch as soon as possible. I am glad to hear about your Christmas homecoming and can't wait to see you! I love you Shea!
<3 Katie aka Kaycity

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Shea! God is so good. I knew if He could make a lame man walk, and a blind man see, and raise Lazarus from the dead, that He could heal you! But it is still amazing!

All of us here in Phoenix are praying endlessly for your recovery. We are also glued to your blog. I check it several times a day.

Shiloh is in Kenya now, serving at an orphanage there with her friend Melissa. I know that during the three hours a day that they get electricity at the orphanage that she is on the internet checking your blog.

We love you and your family, and we are so glad that you had a Merry Christmas. Our prayers continue for Mike's family, and for you as you must miss him so much. Keep us posted. Bye Shea Star!!

Karis Murray- for the Murrays and Kimmels

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello My Beautiful,
I am so happy that all the test you did were wonderful. I am just so happy, i sont even know where to start. I just thank our God Almighty who is just wonderful. I know that it will be hard in the days to come with the back n forth, and the mouth pain, but girl look what you have gone through with already. I am so happy. I am going to pray about you little sore and your eye. But i know they will heal. i am so happy that you got to go home for Christmas, i know that was so comfy. I just want to you stay strong so that you can come home soon so that i can see you and spend time with you. You are such a miracle and I cant wait to see you beautiful face and bright smile! Have a wonderful night, Sweet Dreams!
I Love You Beautiful Bunny!!
Love, Renea (mouse)

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shea and Hickok Family,

Hi, my name is Tiffany. I live in Scottsdale, Arizona. I'm 16, and a Junior at Chaparral High School. I heard about Shea's story through a friend here who knows your son, Luke; her name is Daisy. Anyways, I've been reading the entries on the site from time to time, and I've been trying to keep up prayers for Shea. My comment may not ever be read, but I would just like to let your family know that you all are in my prayers, especially Shea, but all of you. I could never say that I understand the pain your family is experiencing, although I can see that God understands, through all of the prayers he recieves. I may be a stranger, although, I am SO happy that Shea can communicate and that every day she is improving. This shows everyone that she is a angel of God, her story truly touches me. And I am so happy to see that miracles really do happen. My prayers are with you and I really hope that all goes well. =]

Sincerely,
Tiffany

1:19 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Thanks Liz for giving us the photo in words; loved it.

Love to you, sweet niece.

We're all here rooting for you and praying for more and more of the same: good, strong, consistent recovery.

Love,

Uncle Michael

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home